Friday, February 24, 2012

What exactly have I LENT away?

Lent... is an interesting time of year. Too many people treat it as a mini New Years Resolution... we forget that during this time we are supposed to exercise our willingness to be constantly preparing ourselves for the second coming of Christ our savior.

A big issue is that Lent then becomes too much of a temporary fix for our little addictions and vices. People think that during this time cold turkey is the only way to go. But in actuality it is better for us to actively be willing and wanting for the change not just the surrender.
What do I mean by that?
I mean, we need to not only give up something but want to give it up and be receptive to the change. We need to fight the urge to hate and despise not being able to do what we've given up.

I personally have been struggling with this and yet I've decided that only on Mondays will I be fully exercising my surrendered distraction. I am dreading the coming of Monday... Monday is on my mind every day...
But why only Monday?
Well, as the saying goes: "Everything in moderation!"
 I am giving up something that is in essence a good thing... a very good thing. But I have found, lately, that it has been increasingly harder to resist it and hold back. So I realized that even though it is a good thing, I need to work on finding the moderation, the balancing point and center of gravity in this situation. So by giving it up on Mondays I am hoping to learn how to extend this moderation into my daily living eventually so that after Lent I will have a new found ability and self-control in this area to make every day a little better and more reflective of God's will and presence in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment