Thursday, January 12, 2012

Names... and Masculinity


I've been thinking about names today... those of others and my own especially. Jerry... spear ruler... or if you want to pretend it is a shortened version of Jeremiah... God will raise up and set free... JieLei... quick/agile thunder... What does it all mean to me? What does it say about me? I'm starting to see how these names I have don't rightly reflect me and who I am... JerBear my nickname that I have chosen to accept... perhaps fits the best. Now the thing about a bear is that it has many connotations... perhaps the first conjured by my nickname is a teddybear; something huggable, lovable, big, and comforting. But that's not the only side of a bear... a bear also has the ability to rip a man's head of with one swipe of a paw... bears are fierce wild creatures that not only eat berries, honey, plants, and such, but also prey on other animals for sustenance as well. I'm starting to see that in the nickname JerBear there are two things about me that I need to accept... my warm, loving, and caring side... but also my dangerous, wild, fierce, and aggressive side that I tend to shy away from... that I tend to try to hide.

I don't want my goal to be a "nice guy" any longer... I have a friend who posted a status on facebook dreading the fear that he may not be as much of a "good guy greg" as he thought he was... when I read that at first I was sad because I disagreed because I know he is a good guy... but I then realized that the goal in itself was what was wrong, not him... It's important to be good, to be nice, to be caring and loving... but to forsake the danger and wildness of the self in hopes to deny the possibility, the chance, the doubt of strength and dangerous gone bad... That is just disheartening... but so many of us men do it nowadays.

I've been reading the book Wild at Heart by John Eldredge... It's a very good read so far and has guided me to some very important revelations and confirmed some old and recent self-discoveries and has really got me thinking hard about who I am and what it means to be a man. The symbol of masculinity that constantly surfaces in my mind is the famous C.S. Louis line from the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe: "Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you." This line says so much about Aslan, about God. He isn't safe... He is Dangerous... He is Powerful... He is Fierce, Wild, and along with all that He is Good... I think God calls men to this kind of masculinity... not the war, blood, and violence... sometimes that is involved because of our depravity but they are not the goal, they are not what makes it masculine. It's the combination of danger and wildness with love and righteousness...

Guys out there, I encourage you to read this book if you get the chance. I haven't finished it but I can already see how it is changing the way I see things, think, see myself, etc. and in a good way. :]

- JerBear